Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Dot Nails

I've been reading a lot about nail designs done with dotting tools. I really like the actual layered-dotted look, rather than the polka dots.

I wanted to try painting layered dots onto my nails, but it wound up looking more like regular dots. I did layer some dots, but not in the way I really planned to. Next time, I'll have to try a more specific design- perhaps one that borders one corner of each nail! I think if all the dots were in one area of the nail, it would look cool!


Bobby pins dipped in nail polish
If you are like me, you may be wondering, what is a dotting tool? I certainly didn't know! I don't even own an actual dotting tool. I imagine you can really use anything with a rounded tip... a paint brush, toothpick, end of a toothbrush, etc.

 I used bobby pins! I simply bent one side of each bobby pin (to avoid making 2 dots at once). Once I bent the bobby pin, I stuck the bent end into my nail polish bottle. Once the pin was covered with nail polish, I just touched the tip onto my nail.

I found that being a bit more liberal with the amount of nail polish resulted in a better dot. I let each color dry before I applied a new color of dots. As you can see, I wasn't too patient in letting them dry and a few of the dots got smudged.

You can see my process of layers per each color here:

Step ONE
Step TWO 
Step THREE



No comments: